Lusaka PLEED Change Project: Undikumbukire Project Zambia (UP Zambia) is partnering with the German Development Cooperation (GIZ) as part of the Programme for Legal Empowerment and Enhanced Justice Delivery (PLEED) to carry out the Lusaka PLEED Change Project. This Change Project will operate legal desks within two correctional facilities within Lusaka, providing services to juveniles, men, and women, focusing on vulnerable populations. Phase 2 of the Change Project will run from October 2018 to January 2019.
Legal Intern Description: Legal Interns will be assigned to legal desk within a specific correctional facility focusing on a specific population. The internships are part time with the intern working a minimum of three days per week. The Legal Interns will report to the Team Leader over their assigned facility.
Migration Intern Description: Migration Interns will be assigned to legal desk within a specific correctional facility focusing on providing assistance to inmates who are in custody due to immigration issues. The internships are part time with the intern working a minimum of three days per week. The Migration Interns will report to the Team Leader over their assigned facility.
- Providing legal advice and training to inmates from a legal desk to which you will be assigned in the correctional facilities;
- Completing inmate intake forms and preparing and studiously implementing case plans for each case;
- Making the necessary follow-ups in respect of legal cases;
- Drafting legal documents for the cases handled by the legal desk;
- Conducting research on areas of law which are relevant to the cases you or the legal interns your supervise are working on;
- Engaging with stakeholders on key issues arising out the legal desks;
- Ensuring that all case information is properly entered onto the physical file and online case management system;
- Providing weekly progress reports to the Team Leader and ensuring that all documents drafted are reviewed by the Team Leader; and
- Performing such acts and providing such services as may from time to time be communicated to you by the Team Leader or Executive Director
- Interns assigned to the Juvenile Legal Desks will also be involved with contacting or locating the Juveniles’ guardians and ensuring that they attend court and understand the proceedings.
- Studied Law or Human Rights: Diploma Level Graduate or Bachelor Level Student or Graduate (This internship is not an attachment and therefore is not available to students at ZIALE or who have completed ZIALE)
- Available to work three days per week
Application period has ended.